Following the collapse of his clan, unemployed samurai Hanshiro Tsugumo (Tatsuya Nakadai) arrives at the manor of Lord lyi, begging to commit ritual suicide on his property. Lyi’s clansman, believing the desperate ronin is merely angling for charity try to force him to eviscerate himself—but they have underestimated his honor and his past. Winner of the 1963 Cannes Film Festival Special Jury Prize, Masaki Kobayashi’s Harakiri is a scathing denouncement of feudal authority and hypocrisy.
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer
- New video interviews with legendary star Tatsuya Nakadai and acclaimed screenwriter Shinobu Hashimoto
- Exclusive video introduction by Japanese-film historian Donald Richie
- A new essay by celebrated film scholar John Mellen and a reprint of her 1972 interview with Kobayashi
- Original theatrical trailer
- Poster gallery
- New and improved English subtitle translation