In Arnaud Desplechinís beguiling A Christmas Tale (Un conte de NoŽl), Catherine Deneuve brings her legendary poise to the role of Junon, matriarch of the troubled Vuillard family, who come together at Christmas after she learns she needs a bone marrow transplant from a blood relative. That simple family reunion setup, however, canít begin to describe the unpredictable, emotionally volatile experience of this film, an inventive, magical drama thatís equal parts merriment and melancholy. Unrequited childhood loves and blinding grudges, brutal outbursts and sudden slapstick, music, movies, and poetry, A Christmas Tale ties it all together in a marvelously messy package.
DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES:
- New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director Arnaud Desplechin
- Líaimťe, Desplechinís 2007 documentary about the selling of his family home
- New documentary featuring interviews with Desplechin and actors Mathieu Amalric and Catherine Deneuve
- Original theatrical trailers
- New and improved English subtitle translation
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Philip Lopate